Sunday 2 April 2017

#BookReview Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Amid the ruins of her latest relationship, Polly Waterford moves far away to the sleepy seaside resort of Polbearne, where she lives in a small, lonely flat above an abandoned shop.

To distract her from her troubles, Polly throws herself into her favorite hobby: making bread. But her relaxing weekend diversion quickly develops into a passion. As she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, each loaf becomes better than the last. Soon, Polly is working her magic with nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, and the local honey-courtesy of a handsome local beekeeper. Drawing on reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes . . . and discovers a bright new life where she least expected it.


**********

After reading Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery, book three in the Little Beach Street Bakery series did I just have to read the first book because I found the one I read marvelous. 

Jenny Colgan has quickly become a favorite author of mine. I love the mix of seriousness and humor in her books and several times did I smile as I read this book. However, it's not all smile and laughter, and since I have I read book three did I know that I should not become too attached to a person that is no longer in the story after this book. I failed at that, to be honest, the person in question becomes one of my favorites, despite the person not being fully truthful to Polly. 

Little Beach Street Bakery is a wonderful book, there are so many wonderful parts in the book, like everything concerning Neil the puffin, Polly secretly baking bread to everyone (long story read the book), her best friend Kerensa and Reuben and their weird kind of "thing". Polly getting to know Tarnie and Huck, the two men in her life. No, this is not a triangle drama book. I even liked in a heartbreaking way the sad part of the book that came towards the later part of the book. The only thing that felt a bit off was part of the ending, I did like the last part, the wedding is marvelous, but I found myself annoying with the whole relationship drama towards the end of the book with miss misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Still, the book is definitely a really good book, despite the weaker part at the end of the book and I hope to read book two soon!

One thing, that confused me, in this book Polly's father died when she was twenty and she has a brother. But in Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery did her father walk out of her mother before she was born, and she has no sibling. Both books I've read have been in Swedish, is it a translation problem or is it a miss from the author side? 

No comments:

Post a Comment